We were scrambling for a place to stay in Santa Cruz when we came across this boutique bed and breakfast thanks to our friends at the Santa Cruz Visitor's Bureau.
The Pacific Blue Inn is newly-built from the ground up and within a 10-minute walking distance to the beach and boardwalk. It's a great starting point for shopping along Downtown Santa Cruz, which is a block away.
Pacific avenue is full of hip and affordable vintage stores, bookshops, an urban outfitters and indie coffee shops. We especially love the hand-blown glassware by Annie Glass, sold in high-end luxury stores across the country, but originally from Santa Cruz.
Just a short drive away is Surf City Vintners, where local wineries are featured and wine tastings are offered daily. We were actually surprised with the amount of things to do in Santa Cruz outside of the beach and boardwalk. Everything was in close proximity to The Pacific Blue Inn.
Cute and modern rooms
Our bathroom was very large and was even wheelchair compliant. The Pacific Blue Inn was designed with people of all abilities in mind, so three of their nine rooms are actually fully accessible. On top of that, the Inn prides itself on being green with low-flow water fixtures, bamboo flooring and energy efficient lighting. Wireless internet and bicycles are both free.
Why did it take me so long to discover 'popovers' and why am I not eating them everyday? The complimentary breakfast includes warm, homemade popovers sprinkled with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar and served with strawberry butter, blackberry and apricot jams.
The breakfast menu also has a choice of omelettes, frittatas and poached eggs made to order. All of it was as delicious as it looks and served until 10:30 am for extra sleepy people like me. The Inn also puts out banana bread, coffee, tea and water in the afternoon which was a nice touch.
The courtyard patio and fire pit
More Things to Do in Santa Cruz:
1) Go Surfing - Check out Club Ed for surf lessons, board rentals and local surf spots.
2) Bike Riding - Follow West Cliff Drive for a picturesque bike ride along the coast and stop into the little Surfing Museum that's inside an old lighthouse.
3) Eat Ice Cream - Visit The Penney Ice Creamery for local, homemade gourmet ice cream.
4) Drink More Wine - Make reservations for dinner and lots of wine at Soif Wine Bar.
5) Go Berry Picking - Drive over to Watsonville and pick-your-own strawberries at an organic farm like Crystal Bay.
Read more from our adventures in Santa Cruz here
The Pacific Blue Inn, Santa Cruz - California, 636 Pacific Avenue (831) 600-8880 -http://pacificblueinn.com