When my husband and I got married we already had a nine month old son together.
We quickly realized that maintaining our relationship while taking care of a child was going to take A LOT of work.
One of the ways that we can still be a couple while also being parents is to work together on the parenting front and remembering key things like communication and date night:
1) Do things like lulling your baby to sleep by dancing together.
2) Baby bath time can be a family event by playing with your baby while he or she is in the tub. This works not only as family bonding time but also to bring you and your husband closer together.
3) Making sure we have “us” time is also important. You can utilize baby nap time and baby bed time to spend some time together doing something that you both like to do together.
4) Try to spend this time talking about your day and discussing plans for upcoming events in the future. Keeping the lines of communication open is an important way to keep your relationship solid.
5) Plan nights out together. It is ok to ask someone to baby sit so that you can go out for some time together or so that you can celebrate a special occasion.
Always remember to acknowledge what your partner does for you and for your baby. Knowing that you appreciate what your partner does will help them feel good about themselves and about you. Having a positive relationship with your partner can make parenting easier too.
How do you manage your relationship with being a new parent?
--- Lisa Wlodarski is a new Mom and runs Starrified Cards