If you're struggling with what to serve at your holiday cocktail party, whip together this easy cheese and meat platter in under 10 minutes. Just hit up the local deli and bakery for all these finds. No one will be able to resist this presentation and it's so simple to make. We created this fancy looking charcuterie this past summer for Diner en Blanc in Toronto. Here's what we suggest:
1) Serving Platter - Start with the largest cutting board or rustic looking serving platter that you can find. Put a few cheese and bread knives out and add the following...
2) Meats - Thinly sliced proscuitto, spicy salami, dry cured sausages or whatever is your favourite.
3) Pate - Cut into two generous triangle chunks
4) Bread - Baguette, country loaf or anything that pulls apart easily. Crackers work too
5) Olives - Scoop up a big container of assorted olives
6) Cheese - Go for variety with a soft brie, a crowd-pleasing havarti and maybe a harder gouda
7) Fruit - Add grapes, peaches, figs, strawberries, green apple slices - whatever looks good and ripe at the grocery store and is easy for people to grab. Dried apricots are great too
8) Nuts - I like to put out some natural unsalted almonds, walnuts and pecans
9) Spreads - Fig compote or honey for drizzling over cheese makes it extra fancy
Arrange everything beautifully on platter and voila! Your work here is done. Proceed to open a bottle of wine, light some candles and bon appetit.