|Photo Credit - Jessica Davis|
We all get invited to them and we all find them mildly annoying (right ladies?). Despite our dislike, we go and have “fun”, play silly games and the mom-to-be walks away with a pile of gifts for her impending bundle of joy. If she’s registered and if you’re a mom yourself the gift purchase is a breeze, but if you’re left to your own devices and don’t have a kid of your own, chances are you don’t have a freakin’ clue what to get. So if you want to be a good friend get her stuff she REALLY needs.
Here is my list of must-have items for the new mom-to-be:
1. Gift card to Shopper’s Drug Mart. Pampers, Huggies, wipes, nipple cream, nursing pads, diaper rash ointment. These items will become number one on her list and she’ll be making countless trips to Shopper’s. Trust me, the gift card will come in handy.
3. Plain white Gerber onesies. Long sleeve and short sleeve, they’re cheap and cheerful and will match all of her babe’s outfits. L’il E wears one every day.
4. Nursing pillow. She’ll be feeding her milk machine 8-10 times a day so the pillow will give her arms a much needed rest, especially for those middle of the night feedings. It can also double as a tummy time pillow and a lounger for her little babe. I have the Boppy and I loved it.
5. Bouncer. If you want to splurge or go in on a gift with a friend the Baby Bjorn Babysitter Balance is the best gift we received for L’il E. I don’t know what we would have done without it! It folds up flat so she can take it with her everywhere and her babe can sit in it and play while we she’s getting other stuff done. It is a MUST HAVE. Make sure you add on the activity bar, it’s worth the extra $15.
6. Gift card to the spa. The first few post natal months you feel pretty scuzzy and a day at the spa is in order (if you can get away). So get her a gift card for a pedicure, manicure, facial, or massage at her local spa and you will totally make her day. In fact, why don’t you book one too and go with her. A couple of hours relaxing with her BFF will totally make her feel great.
Hope this gives you some ideas for baby shower gifts. Enjoy sipping non-alcoholic punch and identifying melted chocolate bars in diapers (snore!).
Alanna Banks is the author of the lifestyle blog http://fridaysoff.ca. Her posts are always honest, informative and share-worthy. When she's not blogging she's being mum to her toddler son and working 9-5 as a PR pro in Toronto.