We all know what happens out on the runways, but before those models hit the runway in their heels and designer fashions, there is a lot of preparation that goes on backstage prior to show.
Ever wonder what it’s like backstage? HUG was invited to go behind the scenes to get the inside scoop on the latest beauty trends from Grace Lee, Lead Makeup Artist for Maybelline New York Canada.
Here is a glimpse of what happens behind the runway curtains:
Backstage is organized chaos and full of electric energy. No matter where I stood, I always felt like I was in the way; constantly bumping into and clearing the way for cameramen, reporters, fellow bloggers, staff and industry reps. Maybelline New York and Redken staff were buzzing around like a flurry of busy working bees, each playing their individual role in the backstage hive.
I had the opportunity to catch up with Grace Lee at the Pink Tartan and David Dixon shows. Makeup trends for this upcoming Spring are sheer, beautiful skin and a statement brow. I am all about natural looking makeup and a no-fuss routine. I loved the look created for the Pink Tartan show! You'll see variations of this look trending in the Spring. Inspired by Edie Sedgwick, the Pink Tartan look is all about the girl, with soft and flirty tones.
Here is how you can re-create this look:
- Think beautiful, natural and bushy brows. Brows were brushed up, filled in with Master Shape brow pencil and set with Maybelline Great Lash clear mascara.
- On Curled lashes, apply Smoky Eyes mascara and define the eyes with Master Precise eyeliner.
- Dab Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Barely Branded to the inner corners of the eye for a soft highlight.
- A new technique Grace loves using is applying nude lip pencil to cheeks as blush. Just dab and blend with your fingers to create a beautiful matte finish.
- For the lips she used a mix of her absolute favourite new Maybelline product, Colour Elixir, in Caramel Infusion and Blush Essence. Wanting the lips to look like they were lived in, lip colour was dabbed on the lips to remove the high glossy shine, leaving them looking moist and supple.
Not many fancy brushes or tools are needed to achieve this look; you can literally do this makeup using your thumbs.
Colour Elixir is coming out in November and will be available in 20 colours. Check out Grace Lee’s fave shades in Vision in Violet, a bright purple, and Maybelline’s signature colour in Scarlet which Grace was sporting that evening.
It’s always a pleasure watching Grace Lee work. She is full of infectious energy, Canadian pride and a passion for what she does. She lives off the adrenaline rush of being backstage, loves working with talented teams, designers and representing Canada.
All the fun doesn’t just happen backstage. After taking it all in behind the scenes, I went to the front of house to get my own free Maybelline makeover and makeup touch-up.
Photos are taken by Natalia Dziubaniwsky and Maybelline Backstage Canada.
Natalia Dziubaniwsky is a professional in the not-for-profit sector, freelance writer and an avid traveller forever searching for a new adventure. A lover of life, wildlife enthusiast, movie buff and hobbyaholic, you can interact with her on Twitter @taliasfootsteps or follow her footsteps through her blog.