Well we want to help you get back on track and invite you to take The Taste of Nature Pledge to Snack Healthy. This challenge is designed to inspire Canadians to snack better and kick-start a healthy revolution with delicious fruit and nut bars that are 100% certified organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Vegan, Kosher and certified Gluten Free.
Here are my six no-stress tips to help you snack healthier:
1) Start your day right. Drink plenty of water in the morning and eat 1-2 servings of whole fruit like bananas, apples, oranges, grapefruit or pears. Whatever happens next, at least you have started to subdue those early morning hunger pangs that lead to bad snacking decisions later.
2) Don't set yourself up for failure. By this I mean, don't go cold turkey and eliminate snacking all together but try swapping out the over processed, sugary foods and substitute instead. If you crave chocolate, eat a handful of dark chocolate almonds. Try kale chips, roasted seaweed snacks and always keep a bag of trail mix closeby.
3) Get creative and make your own snacks. My latest obsession is baking chick peas. They are low in fat, high in fiber and protein and super easy to make - just add olive oil, sea salt and spices such as chilli powder or cayenne pepper and bake for 35-40 mins at 400F.
4) Portion out your snacks. When you snack straight out of a box or bag, it's easy to lose track and overindulge. I recommend packing your snacks in advance in Zip Lock bags to take with you or put them in small bowls at home.
5) Don't be deceived by words like "natural" and "low sodium" that appear on the front of the snack package. Learn to read the labels on the side or back. Stay away from mystery ingredients that you can't pronounce and things like high-fructose corn syrup, gelatin and additives containing free glutamic acid (basically a disguise for MSG).
6) Take the pledge and win! Visit the Taste of Nature Facebook page and promise to switch to at least one healthy snack a day. Everyone who signs the online pledge until February 28 will be entered into a daily draw for a yoga mat and Taste of Nature bars (value $55). Good luck and here's to a happy and healthy 2014!
Post-it notes photo credit: mashable.com